Factors enlisted by the committee
- Primary responsibility for curbing ragging rests with academic institutions themselves
- Ragging adversely impacts the standards of higher education
- Incentives should be available to institutions for curbing the menace and there should be disincentives for failure to do so
- Enrollment in academic pursuits or a campus life should not immunize any adult citizen from penal provisions of the laws of the land
- Ragging needs to be perceived as failure to inculcate human values from the schooling stage
- Behavioral patterns among students, particularly potential 'raggers', need to be Measures against ragging must deter its recurrence
- Concerted action is required at the level of the school, higher educational institution, district administration, university, State and Central Governments to make any curb effective.
- Media and the Civil Society should be involved in this exercise
Recommendations Approved by the Supreme Court.
- The punishment to be meted out has to be exemplary and justifiably harsh to act as a deterrent against recurrence of such incidents.
- Every single incident of ragging where the victim or his parent/guardian or the Head of institution is not satisfied with the institutional arrangement for action, a First Information Report must be filed without exception by the institutional authorities with the local police authorities. Any failure on the part of the institutional authority or negligence or deliberate delay in lodging the FIR with the local police shall be construed to be an act of culpable negligence on the part of the institutional authority. If any victim or his parent/guardian of ragging intends to file FIR directly with the police, that will not absolve the institutional authority from the requirement of filing the FIR.
- In the prospectus to be issued for admission by educational institutions, it shall be clearly stipulated that in case the applicant for admission is found to have indulged in ragging in the past or if it is noticed later that he has indulged in ragging, admission may be refused or he shall be expelled from the educational institution
- It shall be the collective responsibility of the authorities and functionaries of the concerned institution and their role shall also be open to scrutiny for the purpose of finding out whether they have taken effective steps for preventing ragging and in case of their failure, action can be taken; for example, denial of any grant-in-aid or assistance from the State Governments
- Anti-ragging committees and squads shall be forthwith formed by the institutions and it shall be the job of the committee or the squad, as the case may be, to see that the Committee's recommendations, more particularly those noted above, are observed without exception and if it is noticed that there is any deviation, the same shall be forthwith brought to the notice of this Court.
- The Committee constituted pursuant to the order of this Court shall continue to monitor the functioning of the anti-ragging committees and the squads to be formed. They shall also monitor the implementation of the recommendations to which reference has been made above
Action Taken by the College
Complying with the directives of the Hon'ble Supreme Court of India, the College has formed the following anti-ragging committees and squads for overseeing the implementation of the provisions of the verdict with immediate effect:
College level Anti-ragging Committee:
|Name||Position||Designation||Mobile Number||E-mail ID|
|S.VIJAYAKUMAR, DSP ( RETD)||Member||Civil Administration||9443215009||Vijayalakshmivijayakumar5@gmail.com|
|MR.APPASAMY||Member||Inspector of Policefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|MR.MURUGANATHAM, ||Member||Local Media Editor - Dinathanthiemail@example.com|
|MR.T.THULASI AYYAH||Member||Legal Advisorfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|MR.S.ANANDAN ||Member||Medical Officer Block Health Superintendent , Budalur , Thanjavuremail@example.com|
|PROF.M.ABDUL GHANI KHAN||Member||Faculty Member / Vice Principal||9894590137||Ghanikhan73@gmail.com|
|DR.R.LATHA||Member||Faculty Member / Professor||8220599354||Lathait64@gmail.com|
|Mr.D.XAVIER RAYMOND RAJ||Member||Office Superintendentfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|DR.JOYCE MARY .D||Member||Parent||8667878500||Joyce.email@example.com|
College level Anti-ragging Squads:
|Mr.B.JOSE RAVINDRA RAJ||Member||Associate|
|Mr.B.SARAVANAN||Member|| Office Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org|